Adoption & Guardianship Youth

What am I eligible for?

  • If you entered a permanent, DHS, or tribally approved guardianship with kin, or were adopted after the age of 16 to achieve permanence and have not yet reached your 21st birthday, you may be eligible for services! Call Yes I Can! at 1-800-397-2945 for assistance in determining your eligibility.
  • What I need to know is:
    • If you enter an adoption or a guardianship after your 16th birthday, your medical and housing assistance will come from your guardians or adoptive parents after turning 18. You won’t qualify for extended medical or post-18 housing assistance.
    • Also be aware that the Tuition Waiver assistance program offered by the state of Oklahoma requires you to be in care, in an out-of-home placement for 9 months between the ages of 16 and 18.  If you’re adopted before then, don’t worry, there’s still plenty of assistance! If you were in the custody of the state after your 13th birthday you’ll qualify for a full PELL grant through FAFSA.  If you’re eligible for services you will also qualify for the Education and Training Voucher (ETV) program which helps with college, and you’ll have the support of your permanent connections to help you get scholarships and other financial support!