An Oklahoma Successful Adulthood (OKSA) Guide

The Oklahoma Successful Adulthood (OKSA) Program Seeks to Serve Youth:

  • Ages 14-17 who are in the legal custody of the Oklahoma Department of Human Services (DHS) or a federally recognized tribe, and who are living in an out-of-home placement;
  • Ages 18-20 who were in a DHS or tribal custody and living in an out-of-home placement on their 18th birthday, and who have not yet reached their 21st birthday;
  • Who entered a permanent guardianship or adoption after the age of 14 to achieve permanence, and who have not yet reached their 21st birthday; and
  • Ages 21 and 22 who, on their 21st birthday, were participating in the Education and Training Voucher (ETV) Program

Interstate Compact on the Placement of Children (ICPC) Youth:

  • Youth in DHS or tribal custody, residing in other states through an ICPC placement, are eligible for OKSA services from their 14th birthday until their 18th birthday.
  • Youth in the custody of other states, but residing in Oklahoma via an ICPC placement, are eligible to receive OKSA services from their 14th birthday until their 18th birthday. The sending state is required to pay for these services until the youth has been released from their custody.
  • Ages 14-20, who have been released from the sending state’s custody, will be eligible for services in the state where they reside. Oklahoma’s Yes I Can! Network will provide aftercare services to eligible Oklahoma youth if they are denied services from other states.

Dually Adjudicated Youth:

  • Youth who are dually adjudicated (deprived and delinquent) and who are placed in a DHS or Office of Juvenile Affairs (OJA) foster home or Specialized Community Home are eligible to receive Youth Development Funds from their 14th birthday until their 21st birthday.
  • Youth who otherwise meet eligibility requirements but are placed in detention, a secured juvenile center or other federally non-reimbursed placement are eligible for most OKSA services, but are ineligible to receive Youth Development Funds.

AWOL Youth:

  • Who are/were in a runaway or missing status and remain in custody of the state or tribe will be eligible upon returning to out-of home placement.

Inpatient Youth:

  • Who are/were in a residential treatment facility are eligible for OKSA services. The stability of each youth will affect the OKSA services provided.

Immigration Status:

  • OKSA resources and Youth Development Funds can only be issued to youth who have a status of Citizen or Qualified Alien, and meet the above criteria for eligibility. A "Qualified Alien" must be a permanent legal resident of the U.S. for a minimum of five years.

For a printed copy of this information email oksa@ou.edu.